A message from the Ohio Optometric Association (OOA)
1. Only 1 child in 7 has received an eye exam by the time he/she enters school; even though 1 in 4 children this age have an eye problem.
2. Eighty percent of what a school-age child learns is through vision.
3. Sixty percent of the students entering special education programs have an eye problem; most are undetected.
4. Regular eye exams can be an important part of a student’s success in school.
5. Optometrists are eye doctors who are able to detect many health problems (i.e. diabetes or high blood pressure) because the eye is a window into the body.